9.25.2006

[Home] at Last, [Home] at Last, Thank God Almighty, We are [Home] at last.

Justin claims never to have heard anything similar to this post's title; I aver it comes from Martin Luther King, Jr. At any rate, we are finally home. I won't mention how this came at an utter surprise to us because Infectious Disease insisted upon 10 days of IV antibiotics from the date of the first culture since oral antibiotics do not penetrate the CSF very well, a demand that would have necessitated us staying until 18:00 tomorrow. Nor will I mention that Dr. Strugar came storming into our room about 13:00 today, flanked by his trusty associates, and perfunctorily threw all ID's demands and cares out the window, saying we would be discharged by early evening, a prescription for oral antibiotics in hand. I will not mention these details because I am utterly wasted and really have no emotions of which to speak. I hope and pray we never have to go through that again. Thank you all for your faith and prayers. No, Thank you, THANK you, THANK YOU!!!!! I, at least, was very much and shamefully often relying on the faith of our family and friends that this would ever come to a happy ending. Thank you all for your strength, encouragement, and optimism.

P.S. As it turns out, Dr. Strugar, of whom it has been said "he is brilliant to the point of insanity," was right about oral antibiotics. Cephalexin has an "excellent" CSF penetration rating.

4 comments:

Rosalyn said...

Lia--tell Justin that you're right about the King quote. (It's a good thing Justin is occasionally wrong, or, as his older sister, I might have to resort to drastic measures). All joking aside, I am so glad to hear that Eli (and the rest of you) are home safely. And I hope that you never have to spend another night in a hospital (barring childbirth, but that is--or should be--a positive experience).

JAJ said...

Hoorah for being home! What wonderful news for everyone.

-A

And on the subject line: it is in fact a Negro spiritual which Martin Luther King, Jr. quoted at the very end of his famous "I have a dream" speech. So, one point for Lia.

Jini said...

Praise the heavens! I am SO happy!! Congratulations Family!! Way to go team!

Trevor, Caci, and Jace said...

Oh! We thought we had already posted, but apparently we have not. We, too, are SO happy that Eli is home safe and sound. Hopefully she can stay there for good! Congratulations!