9.08.2006

Friday 9:52 p.m. ET

Eli spent most of today licking her wounds and trying to get some rest in between the medical staff’s incessant visits to test something or other and Lia’s periodic (and largely futile) attempts to get her to eat from a bottle. Lia tried climbing up next to her to nurse her, which Eli liked so well she overate, ejecting all she had eaten with the same celerity with which she inhaled it. Lia tried again an hour later, limiting Eli to five minutes; the results were similar, if less volcanic—a difference of degree not kind. But Eli does seem to be doing better, resting well and fussing less.
Julia absolutely loved her first full day of Nin’s undivided attention. At the end of the day Julia was radiant; Nin was pooped. When we were all together at the hospital Lia plaintively begged Julia, “Now you can’t love Nin more than me.” There is no danger on that count, but Julia does love her Grandmas and is thrilled that one of them is in Connecticut to play with her. In fact, when I left the apartment this morning to head to the law library, Julia responded not by weeping inconsolably as she did the last time I left her with a babysitter, but by waiving eagerly and helpfully offering to close the door behind me. “Let the wild rumpus begin!” she thought as I plodded toward the bus stop. Anyhow, we’re grateful Eli is improving; grateful Nin is here; and grateful for all of your prayers. We really feel suffused with love emanating from many quarters, and we’re grateful for all of it.
I was at the hospital from about 2 this afternoon until about 9 tonight. It wasn't an ideal Friday date, but Lia and I were glad to be together; gladder still when Nin and Julia arrived and the whole family was together.

2 comments:

Trevor, Caci, and Jace said...

I am happy that Eli is feeling a little better and that she was able to eat-- hopefully she can keep it down next time. Thankfully she was such a chubby baby-- that was a huge blessing. We are continuing to pray. Keep us updated.

JAJ said...

Best of luck with the eating situation . . . that must be extremely frustrating for both Eli and Lia.

-A