9.17.2006

More on Day 12

I don't know why I haven't been doing the updates, considering I'm not the busy law student and have all the time in the world sitting in this hospital. So, Eli will not go into surgery tomorrow (good thing they let us know that before they enforced the NPO after midnight requirement), and her turban now sits safely above her head after a days worth of thrashing-at-attempted-blood-pressure-readings (see? She's a fighter!).

For all those who, like me, are at their wits' end with frustration and are wondering why the fervent prayers of so many good people seem to be quite in vain....I just did a google search for "average hospitalization time for VP shunt infection" which turned up a very scholarly article which--if I have deciphered all those scientific nouns, verbs, and numerals correctly--assured me that we are in a very good position and Heavenly Father has certainly been blessing us. So we can all forego those fuming calls to patients' rights advocates which I, at least, had been planning most of the night.

In good news, members of the BYU 34th ward please feel free to brag to Thora Shannon that I have finally finished the Age of Faith, the 1100 page history of the Middle Ages she and I were in tacit competition to finish first. That's why I haven't been doing the updates...

3 comments:

JAJ said...

Reading a 1100 page history. Sounds . . . riveting. With all that spare time you've just amassed by the shunt placement being postponed, perhaps you could write a scholarly blog entry and summarize it for the rest of us.

-A

The Ballard Family said...

What a pleasant surprise to hear from Lia! I'll pass on the "good news" to Thora for sure. I'm currently trying to conquer War and Peace, so if you are interested in another competition that you are guaranteed to win... by all means!
Thanks for putting my anger about little Eli's situation into perspective. Unfortunately, I am a little too familiar with the inner workings of the hospital and have found myself altogether outraged as I have relayed the messages from the blog to Shawn. By the way, I'm very impressed with your medical jargon. My favorite is to ask nurses what things stand for like, "NPO" or "PRN". Nobody ever knows! You probably already know what it means! See how Heavenly Father prepares you for life's situations?
You continue to be in our prayers. We love your family and could really use another dose of Julia's vibrant personality. Give her a huge, double-fudge chocolate chip cookie for us!

Jini said...

Lia you are AMAZING! I don't know how you are doing it. Way to go on finding yet another way of looking at this situation with such fervent optimisim. Your my hero!! I miss you!!! Love you all!!!