10.01.2006

“And each of us himself when no man was his own.”



O suns and skies and clouds of June,
And flowers of June together,
Ye cannot rival for one hour
October’s bright blue weather.

Well, our lengthy hospital adventure is over at last and things are beginning to return to something approximating normalcy. Eli is doing better and better and our faith and hope is that she is home for good this time. While we’re not quite ready for a return to the rollicking posts, patterned after the venerable models of Fielding and Smollett (though more sanitized than these masters), that marked our blogs of yore, we did want to present our faithful readers with a brief installment of our illustrious Review in anticipation of such a return.

Monday (9/25): Lia and Eli came home!!! But there has already been a post about this, so we need say no more here.

Tuesday (9/26): Lia celebrated her return home with an unbounded embrace of all things domestic—she made bread and did laundry and gave considerable thought to the prospect of cleaning before wisely abandoning this last project for another day. In the morning Nin took Julia to our ward’s play group. Julia was pleased beyond measure to see Callie LaDuke, but both girls ultimately had to flee before the menacing presence of the playgroup bully. But they still had fun. When Lia’s self-imposed domestic regime, she enjoyed an ebullient reunion with Billy Blanks, bidding defiance to three weeks of hospital inertia with a rousing session of Tae-bo. In the evening, we did our best to rescue Eli’s coiffure from the appalling asymmetry inflicted by neurosurgeons who had shaved only those areas of her head coincident to their own area of operational interest. In short, we gave her a buzz. Or tried to at least, but by an unfortunate historical anomaly, it was Justin who held the sheers and, in an excess of caution, did something of a hatchet job. But she’s still “cute as a bug,” as Nin noted in a felicitous Kentucky colloquialism.

Wednesday (9/27): We all wept and wailed and gnashed our teeth (gums, in Eli’s case) as Nin wound her way back to the New Haven airport for her flight(s) back to Utah. We were as sad to see her go as she was happy to be returning to her own family. We simply cannot say enough by way of gratitude for how much she helped us during Eli’s and Lia’s hospital stay. We can only say that we could not have done it without her.

Thursday (9/28): In the evening Lia and Eli went to our ward’s Relief Society book club while Justin stayed home with Julia and Callie. Daunted at first by the prospect of eighty minutes with two fiery toddler females, Justin soon learned the grand secret that two balls of fire are more easily managed than one. Pairing Julia with a beloved friend was something like completing the outer electron circle of an unstable element. The two ladies entertained one another while their ostensible chaperone looked in vain for something with which to keep himself busy. He finally settled on spoiling the girls, hosting a picnic in Julia’s room, complete with special saucers of animal crackers, and slipping each girl a cube of Lindt chocolate on the sly.

Friday (9/29): This day marked a momentous epoch in the history of our family, in the history of these United States, in the history of Western civilization, and in the history of this and adjoining galaxy clusters. Julia woke up with proverbially bright eyes and a legendarily bushy tail, blissfully divested herself of a cumbersome diaper, donned her shiniest pair of Elmo panties, and thundered to the expectant masses (i.e. her parents and kid sister) that she would be treated like a child no more: she was ready to be potty-trained. Lia breathed a sigh of relief and made preparations for the long awaited process of domesticating our firstborn. It was a disaster. Flouting the emphatic refrain of the much-viewed internet classic, “Elmo’s Potty Time,” that “If you feel the need to go, just stop what you are doing and go; otherwise you might have an accident,” Julia had FIVE accidents during the course of the day, distributing them methodically throughout the apartment. She did successfully irrigate her potty chair twice and was awarded each time with a jelly bean. It was a frustrating day for a young mother, an amusing one for a young father (though he dared not laugh in his sweetheart’s hearing), and we all went to bed—after a pleasant viewing of Twelve Angry Men (we’re trying to heighten our literacy in legally-themed movies, though we plead that none of our readers suggest Legally Blonde or its sequel)—with high hopes for the morrow.

Saturday (9/30): And those high hopes were not in vain, as Julia’s tragic ratio of two successes to five accidents on Friday improved dramatically to the healthier tally of three to one. Amid the wild cheering and generous distribution of jelly beans, we tried to watch sessions of General Conference on the internet. We loved what we heard, and we heard a lot, the competitive cries of our two little angels notwithstanding.

Sunday (10/1): Julia’s overall output increased magnificently today, but with ill omens initially for the PTP (CIA code for the “Potty-Training Project”): by noon she’d had two successes against four accidents. But then the fates and an antique timer came to the rescue and Julia closed the day with a heroic series of successes, finishing on top by a margin of 6 to 4. Who knows what lofty successes we may report next week? And who knows what other transcendent themes might mould the weekly familial chronicle of life in the heady environs of the Ivy League?

9 comments:

Jini said...

Well, I am a little surprised that we had a single sentence celebrating Eli's return, and the entire rest of the blog dedicated to Julia's potty chair adventures. But nonetheless Go Julia!! Woo-Hoo!! What a big girl!! I am SO proud!! I would have to say that I am MOST proud of the last photo of dear Julia on her little potty chair with her feet adorned with, oh, the most ADORABLE little slippers I have EVER seen in ALL of my life! Where in the devil did you get those things?! How could she NOT be a successful Potty Trainee laden with such fierce and success ridden apparel!? I do believe domination is just around the corner!!!
I also have to say that, good gravy, Julia looks EXACTLY like Lia now!! I swear I can't believe those pictures aren't from 1985!
I also have to say, uh yeah! Look who is the number one commenter on this weeks blog!! Boo-yeah!

Ginger said...

Lia, potty training is definitely the worst part of parenthood. Be strong. Someday you'll realize you haven't cleaned up a potty mess all day. It will be wonderful. Eli looks so big! I think she is precious - hair or no hair.

Rosalyn said...

How exciting for Julia! And I just have to say that I like Eli's buzz cut (even if it is a little lopsided!). Now, Andrew almost has as much hair as his younger cousin!

Margaret said...

I am so glad the Eli's doing well.

I'm also glad that I forgot to check Justin and Lia's blog for so long that I missed the sad parts of the adventure. It's kind of nice when the story begins with "and then everything was just fine." I am so grateful for modern medicine and other miracles.

I'm also glad that Julia is potty training. You would not believe how many career opportunities are forever closed to those who aren't.

JAJ said...

How can Julia possibly go wrong wearing Elmo panties? She is garaunteed success for life. Best of luck in all your PTP endeavors.

I'm so glad to hear that you had an entire week at home together. I pray that your good fortune continues.

-A

Trevor, Caci, and Jace said...

I can't belive we haven't commented yet! We are almost ALWAYS the first to read the blogs, but then always forget to comment! Anyway, Eli is SOOOOOOO cute!!!!! We love her!!!! She looks like an adorable little "Who" in her little pink and white striped sleeper! We just want to snuggle her!

Rosalyn said...

Dan suggests you add _Inherit the Wind_ (Justin may remember reading the play) and _To Kill a Mockingbird_ to your list of legal movies.

Trevor, Caci, and Jace said...

Why won't it allow us to enlarge the pictures?!?!?!?

Trevor, Caci, and Jace said...

Hey Collings -
We miss your updates and look forward to hearing from you again soon. Give Julia a big hug from Uncle Trevor and give Eli some candy and let them both know that I will sneak as much candy as I can into their little hands. Well, we have just under two weeks before little Jace crawls from the confines of his mother. We look forward to that reunion. We can't wait to see you guys this Christmas.
I have a request - I would like if Justin wrote about his experience at yale. We all want to know about the people, his classes, his professors, and any significant observations that both him and Lia have had while being there.
Now, after living at Wymount for over a month - I am starting to understand your post about leaving this garden of eden. I have really been enjoying the change in colors. One of our favorite activities is driving up the canyon to sundance and breathing the colors in.
We love you guys,
Trevor