
Since hearing Justin's good news has apparently left you all speechless (i.e. no one has even left a "Congratulations!" comment), we'll try some of mine this time: my blow dryer magically started working again!!!! After a month of incapacitation on the part of my blow dryer, and little balls on the top of my head (as Justin is wont to call buns) on mine, I can finally do my hair again!
In other good news, thanks to the Suttners and the Chapmans, we were able to celebrate St. Patrick's day, albeit a little late. Saturday I returned from conducting visiting teaching interviews to find a little package from the fam on our doorstep. I originally thought it was the charger to our video camera for which I had torn the house apart, bu
t upon opening the little bundle we discovered it was something even better! Many beautiful and creative St. Patrick's Day cards! Cool green and gold mardi gras necklaces! Light up my world glowstick clip-on earrings and matching necklace! Festive pins to be worn for ages hence! $20 Canadian gold pieces filled with chocolate! We reveled in our good
fortune by donning all the jewelry and dancing little Irish jigs.
Later that evening we had a visit from one of the cast from Napoleon Dynamite! Actually it was just Jini in a funny little motorcycle helmet. I swear, if it isn't red hair screaming "Boys! Leave me ALONE!" it's a 70s bumblebee helmet clashing perfectly with her Italian leather gloves. Luckily, Dad brought up her cool-dude black helmet to try to salvage her dating life before it plunges too far. And speaking of cool dudes (though we're getting ahead of our story here) here's a couple we found just tonight.
Sunday, Caci and Trevor invited us over for Irish Potato Soup and Irish Potato Rosemary Bread. Both were DELICIOUS, and Julia thoroughly enjoyed running around patting her bare little belly, shouting gleefully, "Naked!" We hope she inherits Chari's eventual modesty as heavily as she's inherited Chari's primal impudens. We also admired their new 42" plasma TV which they swindled out of 18 different companies for a mere $400. (Apparently these companies are wreaking their revenge upon friends and family, so beware!)
Monday I delivered our (almost) 60 days notice to Wymount, having decided moving out for the entire summer was our best housing option given our unusual circumstances. We have yet to find a new home, but our official move-out date is May 5th. For Family Home
Evening that evening we took a little gift to Grandma Thella Collings for her birthday. She was very happy to see Julia, and Julia was very happy to play with great-grandma's birthday balloon. Other than that she was in rather poor spirits, so we just dropped off an FHE treat at Caci and Trevor's rather than stay and chat.
Today we had a surprise visit from Opa, which Julia heartily enjoyed despite being mysteriously struck mute during the whole of it. Luckily we had some of her vast repertoire of action songs captured on video and were still able to entertain him with her stunning motor skills. We snapped a shot of him fawning over those skills, but after five attempts it still will not load, so we'll try again tomorrow.
5 comments:
Lia!!! Look who is keeping on top of your blog!! Before you know it I will be doing better than you!!! Well, that is of course after I have graduated from college, no longer work two jobs, and just mosey through life with nothing to do but play with the angel glued to my hip, and update my blog. But it will happen!!!
YEA!!!! I LOVE your blowdrier!!!! I have been praying for that thing to get back to functioning!! We all no longer have to endure those awful little balls!! I am SOOOOOOOOOOO excited!!!
Other than your blowdrier miracle, I definitely think that the surprise visit from an authentic Napolean Dynamite cast member was certainly the most exciting thing that has happened to you. I am soooooooooo jealous!!!
Of course Yale is elitist; getting ranked #1 each year over a course of two decades can do that to people. Being #2 is what helps Harvard - I mean, Hah-vud - to remain such a paragon of egalitarianism. Interesting, though, that the pompous liberals have such a nasty reputation for forgoing six-figure salaries in order to work in the sector of public interest, while the egalitarians so humbly charge fees upwards of $200 per hour for the power firms of the big markets. Better unbridled capitalism any day than even the slightest blush of aristocratic elitism. Speaking of liberal pomposity, what are we to make of our conservative commander-in-chief's recent proclamation that the military engagement he pronounced completed three years ago will extend beyond the two terms of his presidency?
If would be a pity indeed for Jini to marry a home-schoolie (or "school-ee" if you like); in so doing she would run the risk of passing her life in the company of an educated individual. Public education, however, reinforces with dramatic success what I recently heard a noted Canadian writer describe as America's national prayer: "God preserve us in mediocrity and ignorance and shield us from the radiance of Thy Being." Being personally tutored at home in the Great Books tradition does, of course, have drawbacks. Missing out on the salutary social initiation into profanity, vulgarity, cruelty, wedgies, and pop culture - with all its radiant and thunderous inanity - afforded by public education at the venerable age of 6 - could scar anyone for life, to the point even of one's becoming so mad as to court a yellow-helmeted maid on a motorcycle.
To all of you complaining about Yale's elitism, I bet that's just the thing that's going to make this year's Christmas present of Yale apparel for all so delightful. We'll see how many of you are too much a friend of the common man to wear that big Yale bulldog across your chest. (Especially when it's the chest of a 185-pounder!)
Hey Collings! In response to your comment about Christmas presents - it should be of note that I am a BIG YALE FAN - and will do my best to promote Justin's institution of education through donning whatever blue or white apparel that you send my way.
Hey - this is Trevor. I have no problem with Yale or Harvard; however, I do get bugged when they adopt this "fact" that they are America's intelligentsia. True - attending students may be enrolled in the best schools (academically) - but, when all is said and done, a healthy combination of both IQ (facts, knowledge - things that you can program into a computer i.e. reason, ability to analyze) and EQ (self knowledge, self-awareness, social sensitivity, empathy, ability to communicate, etc - things only humans can achieve) is vital. I was friends with a kid that went to Harvard right out of High School. He had a high IQ but low EQ - he will work well in some lab, distant from any human interaction - NOT America's intelligentsia. On the other hand, there are and have been many apostles and seventies that have been graduates of universities like BYU, UofU, UofM (granted many also attended top notch schools) who are our intelligentsia. Studies show that those that have a high EQ are three times more effective in the workplace than those who don't. What is this all coming to? It was Coolidge who said the world was full of “educated derelicts.” Justin isn't one, so go and kick some derelict butt and show them the power of IQ when intertwined with EQ.
Post a Comment