3.31.2006

Concerning "prolegomenizing"

Since our last post there has arisen from various quarters a veritable cacophony of howling protest objecting to our employment of the neologism "prolegomenizing" in the opening paragraph of that post. Would-be pedants have with the utmost alacrity rushed to inform us that prolegomenizing is "not a word," that "prolegomenon" and its variants "can only be used as a noun or adjective ," etc. etc. To the latter objection we would merely, though not ungenerously, inform our detractors that "prolegomenizing" is as much a noun as running or skipping or swimming or yodeling. To the latter objection we would ask by what authority can it be asserted that something is or is not a word? Must we rely merely on the word of Dr. Johnson or Mr. Webster or the hardy souls who endured a century of monumental tedium to endow posterity with the Oxford English Dictionary? Worse yet, are we to be bound body, mind, and soul by the narrow confines of Microsoft's spellcheck? If our detractor meant only that "prolegomenizing" is not a standard English word, we might comfort one and all with the assurance that we ruddy well knew that. If neologisms are offensive per se, 'tis a shame that Dante and Shakespeare, each of whom endowed their respective tongues with dozens of them, were unaware of the fact. Please remember, however, that the dictionary - marvelous testament to humanity's endurance that it is - is meant to be descriptive, not prescriptive. Words pass into standard usage as educated members of society accept and employ them. The dictionary reflects this process only after the fact. You may be surprised to know, for instance, that the verb "to edit" was once thoroughly non-standard. "Editor" was a perfectly standard noun, but it had no corresponding verb. If this seems incredible, it should be remembered that though we have no problem speaking of an "usher" we would have a hard time swallowing "to ush" as a standard verb. But who knows how time will alter usage. The process of standardization inevitably begins with a few daring souls who will have no dictionary to circumscribe their vocabulary. We make, therefore, no apology for what has been perceived as our objectionable invention of "prolegomenizing" as a noun nor for its presupposition of "prolegomenize" as a verb. Nor do we think it ungenerous gently to nudge our officious usage-patrol persons to mend the offenses of their own orthography before casting stones at our vocabulary.

4 comments:

Trevor, Caci, and Jace said...

Disclaimer: This is not meant to be rude or negative. Its 2:20 AM - so if I sound mean, I really am not meaning to be!
To the Bushes...uh hmm.. Collings: I'll apologize if you show me one quote by somebody other than Pres. Bush who used the verb "prolegomenizing." However, I do not intend to point fingers or point out weaknesses as I know that all innovation starts with one - I was just merely pointing out that you are that one! How exciting! Regarding the statement that ""prolegomenizing" is as much a noun as running or skipping or swimming or yodeling." To that I must object. But where is the evidence to prove otherwise? Justin, in your final paper to BYU marking the conclusion of your time here and in trade for a degree - I dare you to use the word "prolegomenizing." If you use that exact word (exact spelling) and don't have it circled or question-marked etc (assuming your professor is well-versed in the English language) I will take both you and Lia out to dinner on my bill.
Lastly, I did not use microsoft's spell check, or websters dictionary, etc... to find the definition of "prolegomenon(a)(ous)" Some of us, though we may not speak with words longer than six letters, are also well read and somewhat versed in this our native language. In closing - we love you very much and are very excited that your baby is due! About the word...don't worry, everyone makes mistakes! It happens to the best of us. If this will cause bad feelings than call us immediatley and we won't ever write anything like this again. Its just kind of fun. Goodnight!

Trevor, Caci, and Jace said...

P.S. Striiiike ONE!

J-L-J-E said...

Alas, the calm voice of reason has been unable to silence the strident voice of protest.

I can't be offended if you object to my usage, but I must lament that this joke-of-a-post appears to have gone unappreciated. And the comparison to Mr. Bush, even in jest, seems to me an unprovoked blow beneath the belt. Please.

Finally and perhaps in vain, let me state in unequivocal terms: I USED THE WORD "PROLEGOMENIZING" IN THE FIRST PLACE KNOWING THAT IT WAS NOT A WORD. This was the original joke. It has been as unappreciated as my post in its defense. The Moses pictures and the Rambo ties were hoped to give some indication not to take this too seriously. In vain, in vain.
Where have I gone wrong? And to think I was one of the consensus funniest kids in my third grade class. O woeful day.

Trevor, Caci, and Jace said...

I apologize for writing things that were offensive. That was not my objective. Trevor