2.27.2006

I'm So Busy My Head is Spinnin'....


Just five more weeks!!!! Look at the size o' that baby! So we really weren't very busy last week, we just didn't have access to the computer and didn't really do anything that exciting. The day after President's day the big event was coordinating the "Dealing with Sibling Rivalry" class for playgroup and the "Getting Along with Your In-laws" Enrichment activity. I made the remaining Mamie Eisenhower sugar cookie dough up into little people for the event (I heard it's an exercise therapists often use--you envision the little sugar cookie man as the family member of your choice and then take out all your frustrations on the cookie rather than the individual. Less charges of assault and battery that way.), but apparently I have so much frustration I will be satisfied with nothing less than a thorough roasting because these were the first cookies I've burnt since I was about 10. (Actually, I just rolled the dough out too thin.) So then I had to make pumpkin muffins to accompany the little Shadrachs, Meshachs, and Abednegoes lest I completely lose my reputation as a domestic.

Julia's Grandma and Grandpa stopped by that evening to see what sort of voo-doo I had been performing on them and to deliver many gifts to Julia. Thanks to her new Baby Einstein Language Flash Cards, Julia can now mispronounce "Rooster" in 10 different languages, including Hebrew!

Wednesday I coordinated the "Games to Play with Your Infant" playgroup and we went to Justin's basketball game. Either I have such an aura of bad luck about me I should be paid not to attend people's sporting events or Justin exaggerates how well he shoots when I'm not there, because they got absolutely creamed, approximately 85-36, with Justin shooting about 0 for 25. (I suppose it could have been the 6'10" guy on the opposing team who made every rebound and 10 3s and the other tall man who was injured and just stood under the opposing team's basket and "cherry-picked" all night, but if I have any takers on bribes not to come to their sporting events, we can set up direct deposit.) Julia still had a lot of fun playing with Madeline Ritchie and cheering for Justin. There was no let-up in her shouts of "Daddy! Daddy! Daddy!" when Justin was on the court. I did my best to make the folks around us think her Daddy was the 6'10" man making all the 3s, though. :)

Thursday evening was Book Club which was very poorly advertised so only one person came, but we nevertheless had a very edifying discussion on the role of literature in educating our children and ourselves. Luckily, with such a poor turnout, the left-over muffins from the In-law activity sufficed as refreshment.

Friday (hallelujah!) evening we attended the ward get-to-know-you activity which was Jeopardy about people in the ward. The answer to which I was the question was "This person ran a 5k in under 27 minutes when she was 4 months pregnant," and the answer to which Justin was the question was, "This individual played paper football with Ty Detmer during Detmer's Stat 221 tutoring sessions with his mom." It was a lot of fun and we learned many interesting things about the ward.

Saturday morning we had a stake mock disaster. Justin did a great job accounting for the missing and dead while I coordinated and attended Quilting Group. (Now that baby #2 is almost here, I decided I ought to make a baby quilt for Julia. Actually, it's for her toddler bed.) Justin studied for most of the rest of the day and then worked on his Jack Kent Cook essays, a project that has consumed much of his time this week. I had absolute faith that he could win this scholarship which would keep us out of debt no matter where he attends law school, until I read the bio on the man from BYU who won last year. That's only a trial of my faith, though, and my confidence yet waxes strong. (Justin never thought he'd win, so he wasn't dampered. That's always the advantage of being a pessimist).

Meetings filled our Sunday morning which prevented Julia from taking a nap; she was running on pure adrenaline by the time Caci, Trevor, and Jini came over for dinner that evening. We made two homemade pizzas which--despite one turning out an aesthetic disaster--were excellent, and had a delicious fruit salad provided by Jini for dessert.

Julia's adrenaline finally ran out about 8:15, and Justin had only read about a paragraph of Great Expectations before she had fallen fast asleep on the floor. So we didn't get to do steps 2-16 of her bedtime ritual. (I'm slightly exaggerating. She's not a princess.)

Whew!

0 comments: