6.10.2010

Graduation and Beyond

Hugh Nibley once defined our country's elite universities as the places one goes to purchase a business or law degree. As of June 2, I am an official owner of one of the latter, though we will be paying the mammoth price of purchase, at interest, for years to come. In any case, my name will ever after be augmented by two additional initials, trailing my surname like clouds of glory: Justin Collings, JD. It's all very heady stuff--enough to fill one with breathless anticipation for that resplendent day, ages and ages hence, when all the world shall tremble at the name of Justin Collings, JD/PhD. My guess is that such will be the intoxicating rapture of that occasion that I shall not rest until I have secured a host of honorary degrees from foreign institutions, until my name is attended by a veritable litany of abbreviatory characters, until my name shall fill the world with its alphabetical grandeur!

But I get ahead of myself--or rather, behind myself. For my purpose here is not to brood over the spirit of graduations past, nor to conjure the spirit of graduations yet to be. My purpose, simply, is to chronicle our recent comings and goings with copious photographic illustrations to please grandparents impatient for images of their posterity. For we haven't merely been busy prancing about in the black robes of the false priesthood. No, reader. At Lia's insistence we have become fun. That's right. We have surrendered our quandam puritanical enmity toward that portentous three-letter word, and pursued the fateful fury at the risk of Lia's wrath.

Much of our recent fun has been centered on "The Great Connecticut Park Pursuit" (TGCPP) Some state agency or other--here in Blue America we have millions of them--is sponsoring a program called "No Child Left Inside," which invites families to visit a different state park each Saturday. We haven't made to all of the parks--much to Lia's chagrine--but we have been to three of them.

Miller Pond Park wasn't part of TGCPP, but it does feature a lovely pond, displayed to good effect during our leisurely walk around it.

On the occasion of our visit the pond was on the frigid side. Still, it was a magical thrill to stick one's bare foot into a natural body of water for the first time this season.

Here we sit like bumps on a log. As always, being at one with nature was spiritually salubrious. I myself was partially transfigured, hence the luminescent whiteness of my knees.

Katharine felt the best way to test the reality of the water was to stomp on it.

Here's Lia setting a sterling example for all of us in what it means to have fun--to be fun. One must be beautiful, one must flash an irresistible smile, and one must don a large hat.
Julia was quoting Wordsworth as she struck this pose.
In most of her moods, Katharine is very hard not to hug.
Julia and Eli, attending sermons in stones.
Our second park visit--and our first official encounter with TGCPP--was to Indian Wells state park. We searched in vain for a waterfall and met with various forms of internal and external opposition. But we were determined to have fun--to be fun--and, by Jove, we had it! By Jove, we were it!
Here's Eli, employing Lia's formula (see above) for surefire fun.
I asked Julia how to caption this photo. She answered: "Git 'er done."
One highlight of the excursion for Julia and Eli was that they got to paddle a canoe. We tried to get a photo with both of them in it, but they paddled with such reckless velocity that we had no chance. Our attempts captured only a sequence of blinding flashes.
Basking in the glow of wholesome recreational activities.
The theme of cute little girl, standing solitary on the beach was too good not to capture twice.
My dad at graduation, irked to be forever hounded by the papparazzi.

Our third park visit was to Devil's Hopyard State Park. This was a special occasion, because my parents were there . . .

. . . and so were the Boston kids: Ethan, Claire, and Jane. Here Ethan and Jane are tormenting a colony of innocent caterpillars.
I took Julia over to this rock to give her a private lecture, but it turned into a group photo op.

4 comments:

Jenilyn Collings said...

Congratulations on gaining more letters after your name!

The parks look like fun--I wish we lived close enough so our kids could play together more. Mine talk about yours a lot. And when they want to say that something is really, really far away, they always refer to it as, "As far away as Julia lives." Apparently that's as far as their imagination can stretch.

Gretchen said...

Wholesome recreational activities. One of the first principles and ordinances of the priesthood, if my memory serves.
-KC

Mindy said...

WoW!!! FUN yep Fun. Breathless, unending, never failing, ever delightful, spontaneous fun. Been there basked in it cherished and dream of it to come.
Yes fun I feel indeed a desire to write a poem about it.

I woke one day in blissful joy.
For fun I called my little boy.
I quickly leapt to feet in wonder:
What magic quests await us yonder?

But just as quick
My head went dizzy
When Mindy cried out: "There's work to do! Come on! Get busy!

Love,
Opa

Rosalyn said...

Congratulations, and stuff. That does look like fun--we need to get out into nature more. (Although our nearest beach, at lovely lake Utah, doesn't exactly beckon . . .)

I suppose I need to cherish these few years when I have more letters after my name than you do. (And dad will probably always have more letters than both of us--three MS degrees is hard to top.)

All kidding aside, I really am proud of you--the moreso, because Yale seems to have had the curious effect of rendering you *more* rather than less humble.