As the partner in parenting of the greatest Dad in the universe, I cannot let another Father’s Day pass without composing a quick tribute to his awesomeness. Every time I think of the wonderful man my daughters have to admire and learn from, the hero they have to worship, the prince they have to love, my natural inclination is to offer a spontaneous prayer of gratitude. Justin so faithfully performs all the “mandated” familial duties which are his. From the first day of our marriage he has led out in morning and evening family prayer, from the first week in Family Home Evening. He tirelessly calls the family for daily Book of Mormon study, though such study with three small children can certainly be trying. Yet even with all the effort these devotions require, he, always anxiously engaged in a good cause, has found other ways to teach his children. Julia, especially, excitedly awaits “Sunday Storytime” each week when Daddy will teach the girls interesting and edifying stories about the Latter-day Prophets. And she and Eli both love their once a month interview with Justin on “Daddy Sunday”. In fact each of them relish any one-on-one time with Daddy; they love being the first child up in the morning because it usually means a good half hour or more reading stories alone with Justin, and doctor’s appointments are a thrill rather than a threat because it’s Daddy that takes them. I (too) often complain that I have sacrificed my body getting these three girls here, but it is Justin’s voice that soothingly sang Italian opera to a hospital-bound Eli and to a newly-arrived Katharine; Justin’s hands that answer the girls needs in the middle of the night; Justin’s back that is burdened with piggy-back chases; Justin’s face the girls clamor to help shave in the mornings; Justin’s poor sensitive feet that get unpleasantly soggy from the girls’ splash-happy baths; Justin’s lovely locks that get surprise yanks from ingenuous little cherubs; Justin’s formidable mind that has provided so many rich experiences for our family. I joke to friends that we ought to have a few sons just so I can be feted and adored, but it is him and not his maleness that they find appealing. Justin naturally and perfectly plays Eric to the girls’ Ariel, Edward-turned-Robert to their Giselle. He is so rightfully their knight in shining armor.
And mine. If it’s true that the best thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother, on this criterion alone Justin wins the best dad award. He virtually holds me as something sacred, never mocking or belittling, though he certainly has plenty of fodder to do so, always complimentary and adoring. He gives me supreme reign and submits to my judgment as primary nurturer in our home, yet always giving sound advice when he sees something that could be done for the girls’ development. I am so eternally blessed to have such a man as Justin as my eternal companion. Justin, we love you.
6.21.2009
To Justin on Father's Day
Posted by J-L-J-E at 11:05 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
And all this time I thought I got the better husband! I guess it could be neck and neck!
No, David stills has both of them by a nose.
Post a Comment