Last Thursday was Katharine's three month day, and boy did we celebrate. After an all-night drive from St. George to Salt Lake, my mom and sister, Jini, arrived just in time to enjoy a marvelous repast for attendees of Thursday night Institute--taught by none other than the great Justin Collings--and to get some personalized make-up tips from an Enrichment taught by a future Paul Mitchell glamour queen.
(One of the women I visit teach is finishing up a teaching stint at a hair/make-up school here and will be teaching at the Paul Mitchell school in Phoenix within the next three weeks). I thought I had no clue about make-up going into that Enrichment, but I emerged firm in that knowledge coming out. Seven face shapes? Three skin tones? Contrast? Structure? Contour? Eeeeek! I actually had to leave after the part about contrast, so I heard all of my specific problems but got none of my specific solutions, and am really right back where I started except that now I know I ought to be coveting the ideal oval face.

Friday we had a German party in honor of Jini's recent return from a mission to Germany-Munich. Pretending it was 1940 for convenience sake, we stopped at a Polish grocer and picked up some sausage, cheese, and rolls for lunch. Then we came home, donned our dirndls, and busted out a Pretty Princess German-style game.
Each player is a princess who rolls a die to move around the board toward a castle and the waiting prince. Occasionally one gets to spin the Wheel of Fortune where you may have the good luck to have a coach take you ahead three spaces or the problem that has plagued many an elegant lady of breaking the heel off your stiletto. Julia was bound and determined to marry that prince and marry him she did. Eli was content to be the second wife.


Later that evening we celebrated a visit to New Haven by our good friend Bianca by having a little fondue party with the Cheneys and Daniels-Santoses. Fun, fun, fun. Jini had gone out with a friend of each visiting party, and my mom's just plain likable, so we figured the company would mix pretty well. This was indeed the case until my mother started telling stories about large rats and we started playing Time's Up. For those who haven't played, this is a game that often throws political correctness to the wind and makes Freudian slips a real possibility, at least that's how we'll explain Jini's pulling at her eyeballs to charade Ho Chi Minh and my mom's pointing at Sander to describe Brad Pitt.
Saturday we arose dark and early to pile in the van for a trip up to Boston. After an early morning temple session we drove into Boston proper (my first time on purpose, though we've been there a few times on accident looking for the temple) to meet up with Jini's friend Spencer. We toured Harvard and had lunch at a super-fun burger joint that crammed its patrons in tight as sardines and named all its menu items after famous people (Justin ordered the Joe Biden; I the Henrietta Davis). After a 97-point maneuvering feat to get out of the public parking garage (no joke...it was ridiculous), Spencer--perched in thin air between Katharine's carseat and Jini's captain chair--took us on a tour of Boston. The girls (meaning my mom and children--Jini's heart was too much aflutter to close an eyelid) all zonked out, but we learned all sorts of interesting things from our very knowledgable tour guide.

Sunday we sort of tried to recuperate from three days of no naps and much excitement. Excitement follows Suttners, though, and Spencer arrived on the bus from Boston at 9 pm that evening. We put Mom and the girls to bed then headed to the Hustedts (Jini and Mattie were in the same Freshmen ward) to introduce them to the man who'd be sleeping on their couch and to play Time's Up.
Monday Justin showed Jini and Spencer around Yale for a bit before delivering them at the Beinecke while he went to study. Later that afternoon Eli and I met up with him at the Eye Surgeon's to see if surgery would help Eli's eyes because patching and glasses didn't seem to be doing much. I had to leave early to take Jini and Nin to the airport, but left Eli in the able hands of her father, whose hands she much prefers anyway. With Eli missing, Julia silent with grief, Jini analyzing her recent DTR, and Nin still reeling from four nights of "sleep" on our couch, it was a somber ride up.
As it turned out, that wasn't grief that was silencing Julia.
She came down with a fever that night and was sick the rest of the week, sharing her malady--as any good sister would--with her family. Which is why the rest of the week was pre-tty boring. In good news, Eli stopped sucking her fingers and carrying around her "tired"! So, Grandma, if you want to send along a Belle dress, we'd all be appreciative! (Mostly kidding).
The other exciting news is that Justin and I went contra dancing Saturday night in honor of a friend's birthday. GOOD TIMES! Justin was pretty good; maybe Jared Collings isn't the only famous dancer the Collings family will produce.
Friday we had a German party in honor of Jini's recent return from a mission to Germany-Munich. Pretending it was 1940 for convenience sake, we stopped at a Polish grocer and picked up some sausage, cheese, and rolls for lunch. Then we came home, donned our dirndls, and busted out a Pretty Princess German-style game.
Later that evening we celebrated a visit to New Haven by our good friend Bianca by having a little fondue party with the Cheneys and Daniels-Santoses. Fun, fun, fun. Jini had gone out with a friend of each visiting party, and my mom's just plain likable, so we figured the company would mix pretty well. This was indeed the case until my mother started telling stories about large rats and we started playing Time's Up. For those who haven't played, this is a game that often throws political correctness to the wind and makes Freudian slips a real possibility, at least that's how we'll explain Jini's pulling at her eyeballs to charade Ho Chi Minh and my mom's pointing at Sander to describe Brad Pitt.
Saturday we arose dark and early to pile in the van for a trip up to Boston. After an early morning temple session we drove into Boston proper (my first time on purpose, though we've been there a few times on accident looking for the temple) to meet up with Jini's friend Spencer. We toured Harvard and had lunch at a super-fun burger joint that crammed its patrons in tight as sardines and named all its menu items after famous people (Justin ordered the Joe Biden; I the Henrietta Davis). After a 97-point maneuvering feat to get out of the public parking garage (no joke...it was ridiculous), Spencer--perched in thin air between Katharine's carseat and Jini's captain chair--took us on a tour of Boston. The girls (meaning my mom and children--Jini's heart was too much aflutter to close an eyelid) all zonked out, but we learned all sorts of interesting things from our very knowledgable tour guide.
Sunday we sort of tried to recuperate from three days of no naps and much excitement. Excitement follows Suttners, though, and Spencer arrived on the bus from Boston at 9 pm that evening. We put Mom and the girls to bed then headed to the Hustedts (Jini and Mattie were in the same Freshmen ward) to introduce them to the man who'd be sleeping on their couch and to play Time's Up.
Monday Justin showed Jini and Spencer around Yale for a bit before delivering them at the Beinecke while he went to study. Later that afternoon Eli and I met up with him at the Eye Surgeon's to see if surgery would help Eli's eyes because patching and glasses didn't seem to be doing much. I had to leave early to take Jini and Nin to the airport, but left Eli in the able hands of her father, whose hands she much prefers anyway. With Eli missing, Julia silent with grief, Jini analyzing her recent DTR, and Nin still reeling from four nights of "sleep" on our couch, it was a somber ride up.
As it turned out, that wasn't grief that was silencing Julia.
The other exciting news is that Justin and I went contra dancing Saturday night in honor of a friend's birthday. GOOD TIMES! Justin was pretty good; maybe Jared Collings isn't the only famous dancer the Collings family will produce.
4 comments:
WOW! She is growing so quickly! Trevor Jace and I are very jealous that Mom and Jini have been able to hool;d Katherine already-- she is going to be probably two by the time we ever see her. How tragic! So will surgery fix Eli's eye? Sounds like a super fun week (sans the disease that swept the family)!
I had to reenter a password request. Ahhh this is so frustrating.
I just sent Justin an email. I think the advice he got was very insightful. The alternative would seem to bear out. Stop teaching those girls and THEY WILL GO TO JAIL. I think going to jail is not the same as seeing the inside of a jail cell is it? Justin will one day be going to jail all the time. I really don't understand that thoroughly. Does he help dead historical figures get out of jail or people who committed crimes a long time ago but are still in jail or what. I have a hunch that someone is just taking advantage of you because I don't know of anyone else who has to go to school to learn history so they can be a lawyer. Did you by chance fill in that blank on your school application saying how much savings you have? If you did now I know---thay want all your money. You can still transfer Justin. Its about principal and they are getting all yours.
I am very happy mom got to visit. I think it was rather cheap of Jini to just push her way in on your personal time though. Ohhh, ummm, I guess it was actually the other way around. Anyhow well done all.
opa
Julia, can you count from five backwards to purple? What is the difference between an orange?
I see the girls also attended Dinosaur days. Next time you go contradancing, lemme know--Dan and I (mostly I) love it.
Looks like you had a great visit with Jini and your mom. Welcome home Jini...I am a little jealous she got to live in Bavaria! Katharine is growing so beautifully! It is always so fun to read about your girls. Oh, and how fun that you went contra dancing! I have never heard of it before, but I would love to try.
Post a Comment