Potty Training Blues
So, we’re potty training Eli. If you think it odd to start this process while Justin is frantically writing final papers—instead of waiting two weeks until he is completely idle—rest assured that at least one member of the editorial board shares your view. But minority views notwithstanding, here we are, and here is Eli, no longer in diapers. The going so far—today was Day 4—has been neither a smashing success nor a crashing failure. Eli’s performance has been mixed; her Potty Log (“Plog”) presents a staggered array of ebullient smiley faces and doleful X’s. On occasion, two successes in a row have won for Eli and Julia a peppermint candy cane from our newly-furnished Christmas tree.
Tonight, however, presented a notable failure. It all began a few minutes after bedtime, with Lia gone with Katharine to a primary presidency meeting. Julia, the reader might as well know, has the maddening habit of holding off on her own bathroom needs until immediately after going down for a nap (she doesn’t really take them, but she has to lie down for thirty minutes while Eli falls asleep) or bedtime, at which point needing to go to the bathroom provides an easy means of escape from her bedroom with impunity. She pulled the dastardly trick again tonight, impudently ignored Justin’s remonstrations about how insolent and annoying this practice is. Eli interpreted Julia’s escape as a sign of her own liberation. Eli too emerged from the bedroom, beaming like a clown. Justin asked if she needed to go potty. She said no. Justin said that in that case she had better return her diminutive person to her diminutive mattress post-haste or face the consequences. Eli, surprisingly enough, turned on her heel and went giggling back to bed.
But she went back to the wrong bed, climbing into Julia’s bed with an impish smile, enamored of her own cleverness. Thus perched in her big sister’s vacant bed, the usurper marked the newfound territory as her own. “I need to go potty!” Eli called, a sextasyllabic utterance which Lia interprets as a sign of dawning awareness of urinary needs but which Justin construes, with rather greater accuracy, as a declaration that (protecting the guilty with a passive construction) an accident has just been had. In this case, the accident proved a wide ranging shower that took in its wake Julia’s quilt and mattress cover, as well as Eli’s panties, pajama pants, socks, and Tyred. Not even the hardwood floor was spared.
Eli seemed quite pleased with all of this. Justin set her on her potty chair, in accordance with the idle possibility that any fluid might remain after so generous a deluge. Eli giggled and talked cheerfully to herself. This will never do, thought Justin, and he peremptorily put a stop to such merriment in terms that replaced her laughter with tears. Then, in one of those cruel ironies of parenthood, Justin found it took far longer to replace those tears again with laughter. But in time he got Eli back into bed, tossed the wetted linens ‘n things into the tub (to be dealt with later), remade Julia’s bed, cajoled Julia back into it, and tucked the girls in again an hour or so after doing so the first time. This, too, will be recalled in his favor in the Valley of Jehoshaphat.
As Lia puts it, “Even bad parents deserve a reward for putting up with potty-training.” Or, as Justin's high school physiology teacher put it, "There is no rest for the wicked, and the righteous don't need it." Or, as Lia's dad puts it, least relevantly of all, "You can't lead a horse to water, but you can salt his oats."
12.04.2008
Potty-training blues: A page from Eli's Plog
Posted by Justin at 7:24 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
This made me laugh out loud. What fun potty training is. This is what you get for having such clever children.
And p.s. I love the pictures of your babe on the previous post. Such dark-haired beauties!! December 17 will reveal our fate -- whether or not our family will be rearing three boys for yours, or whether you'll have to select from between the two we've already got.
Well, good luck! I love that it is a "plog." Very clever, Justin.
I wonder if the potty ruse could possibly be genetic? That's one of Andrew's favorite tactics--our repeated efforts to get him to go potty *before* he goes to bed notwithstanding.
hahaha! Too funny!
Funny Eli. I hope you win the battle. Cute pictures on your other post.
Patience. Patience. Patience.
Lia, everyone missed you at Enrichment tonight not to mention the whole primary presidency. We were one cute baby short too. Guess we'll all have to peak at her tomorrow night.
Just checking out your blog...you guys have the MOST gorgeous children. Keep populating the Earth.
I was hoping to see the pictures. We would like to see the baby. Are there any baby pictures yet? What is going to happen with the photos? Nin and I were just wondering if there might really be a baby or just a squeeze toy you make baby nises into the phone with. Alot of people have been saying yu are adopting, the papers haven't come through and so the pictures are late in coming. If you have a baby send me a evidence NOW! Listen there is no shame in hiding, you aren't going to be raided by the baby police just WHERE'S THE KID!!!!!
I hope you saw the right Neal Maxwell ---- Religiuos Voices Discounted. I did not look at the partial clips. This is the 6 minute exquisite.
That is Religious Voices Discounted. I also found out from mom that you do have pictures. I am try ing to type with my heaqd down and not looking at what I am typoing. I do not like mistakes in correspondence which is one of the reasons I do not like to type. I can deal with audio Faux pauxs sic. But if you're going to type take the time to show you know what the heck you are doing. AND I DON"T HAVE TIME FOR IT!!! AHH THE LSAT.
Post a Comment