Most of the world knows that the 25th of March marks the coronation of Robert the Bruce as king of Scotland in 1306, and the foundation of the European Economic Community (now the European Union) in 1957. All the world knows that it marks Lia's birthday. To celebrate we had waffles rather than pancakes for breakfast and duly equipped them with whipped cream and home-made jam. After a mild misadventure taking the girls to playgroup at Hannah's Dream, Lia dropped them off with Elise Hahl and her son, Caleb, having first cajoled their quiescence with the prospect of watching Dora on the Big Screen (i.e. a real TV rather than Julia's 4" DVD player). Then Justin and Lia went to lunch, by Lia's choice to the ethnic food carts outside the business school. Lia ate Thai food and Justin, a long time anti-fan of Asian food and anything like unto it, opted for enchilladas. The pair consumed their fare, which was good, on a secluded bench near a garden behind the International Finance building. Mostly they enjoyed being together sans filles under the open air of what passes in New Haven for a proto-spring afternoon (temperatures in the low forties with a chilly wind). The rest of the day presented a steady stream of personal and telephonic callers paying their respects to Lia on her big day. Relief Society President Joyce Thomas presented us with a brobdingnagian pizza from Costco, which we heartily devoured together with a delectable salad prepared by the birthday princess herself. Then Keely Knudsen stopped by with balloons and a copy of "The Bee Movie," which we watched later in the evening. Then Gretchen Cheney called with well wishes and the promise of a future present of fair vestments. Then Kim Thompson stopped by with flowers and more well wishes. Then the phone rang off the hook (until Justin took it off the hook) with one admiring saluter after another. Apparently all the world knows Lia's birthday because all the world loves her.
Our senior editor best of all.
3.25.2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Let me add my voice to the rest of Lia's admirers: Happy Birthday Lia! I was quite intrigued by the girl's "festive wear"--was there a reason that neither one appears in any of the pictures wearing real clothes? :)
Happy birthday, Lia!! And I love the girls' new haircuts. I hope you guys had a wonderful spring break in New Haven. We just might be there one day!
Apparently Rosalyn and I have spent too much time together since I was wondering the same thing.
Oh, and I LOVE Julia's new haircut. Very cute.
Happy Birthday long lost roomie! What a darling family you have, and waffles are quite superior to pancakes if I do say so myself.
Wow, what a birthday! The stakes have definitely been raised for me this year. I better hurry and make some friends so I can be showered with food and well wishes!
Life really starts to get good at 35. So you have a lot to look forward to. All the world should adore my Lia. Love, nin
Post a Comment