Just a little post of funny things the girls have said lately. The other day I was doing the dishes when Eli came running to me in her characteristic kind of floppy manner, both arms extended, hands wishing to cradle my face, making a rather obnoxious monkey-like 'Oh, oh, oh, oh'. I bent down so she could take my face and she said, a hand on each of my cheeks, "Oh, oh, oh, Mommy, the day you die is going to be the saddest day of the WEEK!" "Just the week, huh? But when that next Wednesday comes around...." "Yes! of the week! But THEN," she said gleefully, "THEN you can go ask Heavenly Father whom we're going to marry!" This thought cheered her right up.
Today we heard some very sad news about a young woman in our ward. After Katharine's nap I was holding her on the ground in my lap and crying pretty hard thinking about this young woman when Julia and Eli came rushing in to comfort me. They sat one on each side and looked on concerned then finally asked, "Mommy, why are you crying? What's the matter?" I told them it just made me so sad that we have the commandments so that we can be happy and it makes me very sad that people who know the commandments choose not to live them and not only make themselves unhappy but other people unhappy, too. "Oh!" interjected Eli, in her very concerned voice. "Well we need to get these people some scriptures so they can learn the commandments! These people need some scriptures!" Which made me laugh, and egged Eli on to add, "Yes! There are people STARVING for SCRIPTURES in AFRICA! They're starving for them there!" Which was also funny, so she repeated it over and over, until Julia put a damper on the fun by saying solemnly, "Mommy, I don't like for Eli to laugh about people starving in Africa, because there really ARE people starving there." Oh, my young advocates.
Two funny stories that happened to Justin:
Julia is really bad about respecting privacy. She keeps looking through my journal, making appalled comments about how long it's been since I've written. "Wow, Daddy," she gasps, "you haven't written in your journal since January 8th!" Now she has taken to scrutinizing my old journals too. The other day she came storming into the room in high dudgeon, exclaiming, "In this journal you skipped the entire month of June!" "Why is that so bad?" I asked Julia. She rolled her eyes, wondering how anyone could be so thick-headed, and resorted to the timeless tactic of explaining the patently obvious by repeating it slowly. "You didn't write anything for June 2004!" I only saved face by pointing out that the first entry for July 2004 contained a detailed and effusive account of Julia's birth.
A few days ago Eli asked if she could tell me a story. The beginning was familiar enough--a beautiful princess named Eli with a handsome father, etc.--but then came a twist: "Her father was SO handsome, and had thick black hair. Very soon, he got a JOB and the family moved into a HOUSE with a big stair case . . ."
2.20.2011
Sunday Funnies
Posted by J-L-J-E at 7:44 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Such cute stories :) Your girls sound darling! Aren't children the sweetest when they are comforting you?!
Oh man, I miss your family so much. Your girls are so hysterical. They have the strongest little personalities! I wish I could see you!
wow i'm missin me some eli right now. i would be missin me some julia too but i'm afraid she'll get a hold of my journals and reprimand me :) any plans to be in utah before the might trip overseas?? we should talk soon - so you'll remember how funny i am and why i'm your bff :)
I laughed until I cried! Your girls' antics remind me so much of you girls when you were small. Your dad also laughed until he cried too. But he does that daily. I rarely laugh out loud. But I sure did today!
Post a Comment