My German teacher likes to go off on cultural tangents which he must deliver auf Englisch. One such tangent was on the importance in German history of November 9th. Well, today more significance still fell upon that blessed date because Justin Michael Collings, future world-renowned, Nobel prize winning something or other that has to do with German history not only passed a grueling two hour grilling by three of the most knowledgable men on the modern history of all Europe but he passed it with distinction. Three cheers for our man Justin!
Speaking of our man Justin, in that big catch-up post I neglected to mention the VERY significant fact that Justin was offered a clerkship after our year in Germany right here in New Haven with the Honorable Guido Calabresi, about whom inquiring minds may read here. Despite Justin's long-standing friendship with Guido, we were both quite surprised that he got the position, and we're not a little grateful that we can store our stuff in a storage shed right here near home before we take off next July.
And now onto our update. Two of the kids in my German class play polo for Yale. The girls love horses, so I asked if we could come out to the barn sometime. We made it our FHE, discussing the Lord's Law of Health as we made the 20 minute drive out to Bethany. As you can see, they are cowgirls at heart. 


You can kind of see the polo ponies in action with this photo. This ring is half normal size because it's indoors. It was 20 degrees the night we went out or something super cold like that.

I walked into the kitchen the other day and found Katharine here.

What a dangerous little monkey! Just kidding. I left our big step stool up so she climbed on easily. But I WAS surprised to find her here.

Sister Thomas, a wonderful woman in our ward, loves our girls. She asked if she could take me to Costco to get the girls some dresses she really liked there. Here they are!



We didn't post on Sunday because my grandparents stopped in on their way back from a Caribbean cruise. We always love when they stop in, and they never forget to come bearing gifts. This time it was blankets with stuffed animals and native island dolls though I forgot to snap a pic of those.





3 comments:
Congrats, Justin!
The girls are lovely in their new dresses. So fun Granpa and Grandma got to stop in. I hope the girls will be able to remember them.
Congratulations Justin, 2020 Nobel prize winner! We are always rooting for your success!
Post a Comment