8.09.2009

Other adventures

We just barely figured out that I can load pictures onto this computer, so here are a few shots kind of at random. First, Jini is really loving hanging out in Germany with us, and the feeling is mutual. Julia's loving the Nutella. It's like their peanut butter here. At least that's what we tell ourselves.


We do lots and lots of sitting around waiting for Ubahns.

This particular shot was taken last Saturday as we sat waiting for our train to Hanau. Hanau was made famous with its stories of witches brooms

and flower-loving maidensby the Brothers Grimm, who were born there. They have a Marchenfestspiele (or something...Fairy Tale festival) every summer in honor of the famous pair; Julia, Eli, and I watched a musical production of Sleeping Beauty in an outdoor ampitheater at Phillipsruhe Schloss while Jini watched Katharine. It was all in German, but living in a fairy tale ourselves, we pretty much figured it out.This is a fountain at the castle. This is not the real Dornroeschen palace. That is found here. Isn't it gorgeous? It's too remote for us to get to it, but maybe someday. Speaking of fountains, Germans apparently love them as much as my girls, and they have no qualms about stripping their children up to ten years old down naked and letting them run wild.




These are from a fountain on the Hanau trip.
Jini found some wild blackberry bushes at a park at the end of one of the buslines. We made an attempt to pick some, but Eli managed to land herself in a pile of poison ivy or nettle or some other plant that makes humans break out in hives and itch horribly, so we left before we got too many. Beaten but not broken, Jini went back with a friend and picked enough to make some delicious blackberry jam! It was delicious!

Here are some of the cute little buildings around. Of course they're reconstructions because everything was destroyed in the war, but they're still fun to live among. Here stands the Rathaus in the tourist section of Frankfurt:

Some classic German buildings with a hunky Iranian man in front of it. The electricity difference here killed Justin's razor so he hasn't shaved all week and he hasn't had a hair cut in about three months. He's thinking of entering a Mahmoud Ahmadinejab look alike contest.




I only had to purchase 72 bottles of Reis und Gemuse baby food to get this souvenier German T-shirt for Katharine. She really likes it.


It basically says "I'm organic". German uses circumlocutions.



I read once that a mother's summer goal is to have her children the same color at the end as at the beginning. Judging from this picture, I think I'm losing. But sunkissed sure is pretty!












11 comments:

Mindy said...

I like the random pictures. I'm glad I never had the summer goal of getting all you girls the same color. Lia, you and Chari got the best tanning genes. But Caci really works at it! After the comment about the you-know-who-look-alike-contest, you'd better be watching your back. You know your blog is being monitored!

Anonymous said...

I think the Iranian guy looks more Indian, that's the country India. I have it on good opinion.

I think the color on that one little cutie isn't sun kissed but Hershey kissed.

Who is the friend Jini is strolling through the blackberry patch with?
I hope he/she has medical training.

Lia, I see you haven't quite grasped the purpose of kids fountains "9 and under".
Are you struggling with the bidets too? Talk to Jini it's not the kind of thing you read in a book?
Public fountains are a cultural thing.

Rosalyn said...

I'm glad to see you're having so much fun! I'm a little jealous of all the marchen stuff, but I think most of it would be wasted on Andrew, so it's just as well your girls are the ones there to soak it all up.

Trevor, Caci, and Jace said...

Hooray for pictures finally! Everything looks so magical!

Trevor, Caci, and Jace said...

PS That is except for the hairy Iranian you snapped in there-- that's just alarming! You know, there are other methods than just electric for separating the Homo Sapiens from the Neanderthals.

Mattie said...

Looks like fun, we can't wait to see you guys soon. Is Eli not wearing glasses anymore?

Tammy said...

Hi guys! Love seeing a few pictures of your Summer adventures. I fly to Munich for just a three-day meeting next week. I'm wishing that my German was better (or existent) or that one of you could come translate for me. I just keep telling myself that everyone speaks English and that I will be fine. We'll see.

Angie said...

It looks like a wonderful, magical time! What an experience to have, especially for your children who will be able to remember! I might have missed this, but how long are you going to be living there? What fun!

Mindy said...

For the record, who is the beautiful girl holding Katharine on her lap in the very first picture?

Jini and Kinsi said...

Wow, sounds like a party! I think that if a mothers summer goal is really to keep the kids out of the sun, then mothers who succeed are the worst ever, I'm glad you are losing. Jini, it is so like you to find free food and take advantage, hahah. You guys look like you are having soooo much fun, and Jini you look soooo pretty in the pics!

Jessica Wille said...

I'm loving following your adventures in Germany, and am (as I may have already mentioned before) slightly jealous:)