5.04.2008

May 3, 2008

On Wednesday evening Lia went to bed in despair. The gown she had so assiduously sewn for many days was ruined. It bore the unmistakable and hopeless look of a maternity dress. On Saturday morning she actually finished the dress and was in ecstasy. It was perfect—a miraculous incarnation of sartorial wonder. And CFA has the pictures to prove it.


Julia had her final creative movement session this morning. Justin felt a bit self-conscious carrying around the latest issue of The Economist, the cover of which bears an animated image of a fiery dragon and carries the headline “Angry China,” in the company of all the other parents, Asians to a mom. Halfway through the class Julia dismissed Justin to go read in the hall (children, it seems, become embarrassed at the nerddom of their parents at increasingly early ages).

In the evening, Justin and Lia went to Anthony’s Ocean View for the end-of-year Yale Law Journal banquet. The setting was garish and kitschy—Sarah Clayton compared it to something out of “The Golden Girls”—complete with floral carpet and tasteless chandeliers. When the DJ in our hall mercifully stopped the record-player, the DJ next door (where a ‘50s reunion of sorts was taking place) seemed to crank up the volume, and the deafening, immortal tones of “Jailhouse Rock” came rumbling through the wall as U.S. Attorney General Michael Mukasey (YLS ’67) stood to address the YLJ editors and their consorts. The food left much to be desired, though Lia confessed she usually loves any meal she doesn’t have to make (with the obvious exception of food Justin makes).

But Mr. Mukasey himself was magnificent. He spoke for about fifteen minutes, fourteen-and-a-half of which was devoted to a brilliant skewering of the stuffy pretension—to an unsparing exposition of the mighty triviality—of the world of student-edited law journals. The Yalies rolled in the aisles. The Attorney General was well worth the price of admission (free for Justin; $30 for Lia; considerably more for the dress materials, though this paled in comparison to what it costs to buy a new dress). Justin and Lia left early, skipping out on the dancing—even though Lia had seen a couple of Justin’s finest moves beforehand—and drinking. [Photo note: "Real princess gloves" from Jini in Germany. A little birthday envelope arrived for me and Eli. Caci also sent a little birthday package for the same recipients, but we're holding pictures of the contents until I exchange either the 18-24 months or the 2T very adorable pink skirts. For those uninitiated into the mysteries of children's clothing, those amount to about the same size.]



Still a favorite pasttime.



Justin thinks the girls clean up so well, he takes a picture just about every Sunday morning. Which is cuter, the girls, or Justin thinking they're so cute?

We're taking a vote. I'm tired of being told I look like I'm 19, and could think of only two viable options for remedying the situation: wearing pearl studs (thus getting my ears pierced) or changing my entire wardrobe. Since option A would be so much cheaper, I'm rooting for that, but Justin is against the idea. So, do you, faithful reader, think I look older in this picture? (My very clever sister Caci instructed us at Christmas on the ease and utility of converting normal earrings to clip-on ones. That's what these are.) Do you think it's time I join the ranks of the classically elegant women in the world and get some pearls? Even if they will necessarily be paired with my 10th grade jeans?

10 comments:

Eva said...

Lia. You will be told you look like you're 19 until you go gray, earrings or not. The dress looks lovely, and so do your daughters.

KelliAnn Christensen said...

Hmmm . . . I don't know if pearl earrings will make you look that much older, but they would be pretty. Maybe a haircut would work better at aging you. I like your hair, but maybe there would be a cut that would work. I think Jess's haircut makes her look more mature, and I think it is cute, too. Oh, by the way, I love the dress, and you look fabulous in it.

David and Amy said...

Lia,
I too am often mistaken for a teenager. Most of the time I enjoy being thought of as younger than I am (because I do feel younger than I am!), but more and more often I yearn to be seen as a more sophisticated and mature person. I think wearing pearl studs is definitely a classy style, but I agree with Eva that they won't disguise your youthfulness. You do look good with earrings though! :)
Kudos on the dress, it looks great!
Amy

Rosalyn said...

I think it must be testimony to the fact that you *are* still young that you mind being mistaken for a teenager! I'm inclined to agree with the other comments--even with earrings you'll still look young, although they are attractive! You could ask Justin to call you "Old L"--that might help you feel a bit older. :)

Justin, Kalee, Jackson, Ava and Gabriella Peacock said...

The dress turned out amazing!!! Great job! I too am mistaken for a teenager...when I was teaching high school math last year I got asked to show a hall pass almost everyday and sometimes had to show my "teacher id" to skip the metal detectors at the front door...I hope I will appreciate this some day! Do you really not have pierced ears? I totally think you should get them pierced...hey if Ava got hers pierced at 6 months old you can do it!!! You clip ons are very cute though...I noticed them at church and thought you looked stunningly beautiful!:)

-A said...

I was finally allowed to get pierced ears at the ripe old age of 8 and have been wishing to be pierce-less since about 13. I'll echo the other comments in saying that earrings will not make you look older, but if they make you feel older it might amount to the same thing. So anyway, don't rush to a decision, choose wisely.

In other news, your family is still all too adorable and we continue to wish we lived closer. Perhaps by next fall. . .

josie said...

A few months ago someone told me I could pass for fourteen. So I feel your pain. Maybe when we're fifty we'll look twenty-five? I think I might have to get some pearl earrings myself. The dress looks great by the way. You are amazing!

Mindy said...

I'll not take time to look up the reference. But I still hold that "tinkling ornaments" are no compliment to true spiritual devotion. However, I do recognize a need to moderate one's position in non-moralistic value determinants. That is to say, Lia, pierced ears will not make you a wanton woman. Now, your mother, on the other hand....

Jessica Wille said...

I am so impressed you made that dress. It is gorgeous! As far as looking older...Tad and I have issues with that also. My haircut did help a bit, but you have such pretty hair!

nickandtif said...

I can relate to you on this one. I don't know if we'll ever be old enough to fit in with the 50 year old east coast moms :)