Having only a few moments to update the world on the exciting happenings of the Collings' household, our junior editor will take the keys tonight. Luckily, this week held few novelties, though it did solve one of life's greatest chimera: some of our readers may, like us, wonder to what on earth all these Connecticut Liberals refer when they complain about "global warming". Provo has certainly been below freezing this year. May we refer the reader to New Haven's five day weather report--Monday: 12 inches of snow; Tuesday: lots of sun, icy and windy; Wednesday: 50 degrees, light jackets only; Thursday: 60 degrees, T-shirts please; Friday: 7 straight hours of heavy rain; Saturday: 65 until the Collings family opts for a trip outdoors, then blustering winds and light rainfall.
With a hearty thanks to Kevin and Mark Eubanks for the weather, we will now refer you to our scrolling news reel while we the TV anchors yap authoritatively about whose dress we liked best at the Oscars.
Monday: Lindsay, Mayah and Asher Sevy came over to play in the snow; Eli very cute being pulled on sled; Julia still terrified of that cold white stuff, refuses to step in it. Tuesday: At her wit's end with a squawker and a squaller, Mommy bundles and loads the kids into the Big Blue Bull for a little outing only to realize that those aren't snow banks causing that thumping, its a flat tire. Wednesday: Capitalizing on the spring weather, Mommy changes tire with Julia playing on playground and Eli squawking in Exersaucer that has been moved outside. Forgets to clean the grease off her face and hands before going to French class; wonders why no one will sit by her. Thursday: Daddy comes home early so Mommy can get the tire fixed. Forget to ask recommender whether they're talking accounting or economic costs when they say Fair Town Tire is the cheapest place in town: spend 3 hours waiting to have it fixed. Luckily, Goodwill being right next door, score big on bundt pan ($2), electric skillet ($4), sweater ($4) and shirt ($3); have to take back the so-cute, 100% wool, Talbots brand, gray, knee-length skirt as a result of some talk Elder Holland gave in the 40's. Friday: Joy School in the morning. Oh boy, does Julia have Joy. Mommy doesn't when Julia forgets to take her nap and Eli truncates hers. Saturday: Run all sorts of errands, the accomplishment of which is much expedited by there being no need to wear coats, scarves, gloves, and gas masks (these Connecticut Liberals...they're serious about that CO2); check out Wintergreen Lake State Park; being singularly unimpressed, walk around the block to admire the Yale professors' large houses; much, much, much impressed. Eli tries out the baby backpack Mommy snagged at a consignment shop for $5. Daddy heading off to stake priesthood meeting complete with rootbeer floats, Mommy puts the girls to bed an hour or so early and revels in the sweet sounds of silence. Sunday: an invigorating church day capped by a revelry in good old capitalism playing Settlers of Cataan with Cameron and Addie LaDuke. Daddy, arranging with Eli beforehand to keep Mommy preoccupied, and feigning complete ignorance by only taking a resource when prompted to by other players, beats Mommy, placing second.
3.04.2007
Reuters
Posted by J-L-J-E at 8:19 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
I'm amazed at how you can still manage to pack so much entertainment into such a brief synopsis of the week. I must say, I am curious about the Elder Holland talk. Did he condemn all thrift shop wool skirts or just the grey, knee-length, brand name variety.
Well, actually, it was a more recent talk, the applicable principle being "if you mothers wear knee-high skirts, your daughters will wear thigh-high ones" (meaning that's Justin's application of the principle; I think Elder Holland talked more about not criticizing church leaders and being skeptical of church doctrine, because your children will inevitably go further in their criticism and skepticism than you will). Admittedly, it would have won the honor of being the shortest item in my wardrobe. I probably shouldn't have gotten it in the first place.
I had no idea you knew how to change a flat tire. I am thoroughly impressed.
Well, I'm glad it's not all second hand clothes. That means I don't have to take my grey, wool, floor-length Eddie Bauer skirt back to DI where I found it for $3. Thrift stores are fabulous.
Question: Will the Collings family ever be defeated? Nay! It's one thing to change a flat tire, but it's quite another to do so while keeping a close eye on two children under the age of three! Your family motto should be similar to that of the heroes at the postal service (something about wind, rain, etc.) Although, I must say our mail carrier does not tolerate ice and certainly doesn't tolerate having to step over small children's toys. Go figure! The Collings Family would never let that slow them down!
P.S. Nice job on the thrift store purchases! Knee length skirts are tricky though. I have one maternity dress and it's knee length-big mistake. If only it were mid-calf length, ugh! What is Elder Holland's policy on leggings? Maybe I'll have to write him. Look for my submission in the "Questions & Answers" portion of the next Ensign issue.
Lia, you are the woman! I say wear the skirt and wear it with pride. I bet you look foxy in it.
I'd sit by you no matter how greasy the face. Have hope, Spring is around the corner.
We read this Blog LAST Sunday but forgot to comment (we just want you to know you have our undivided attention). Reading your blog is one of our Sunday highlights!
Post a Comment